Mr Stefan Weitzel
MD FRCS (Eng) FRCS (Tr&Orth)
Consultant Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon
Foot and Ankle Surgery, Lower Limb Surgery
Mr Stefan Weitzel graduated in 1991 from the Medical School at the Albert-Ludwigs University in Freiburg, Germany. He then completed his postgraduate surgical specialist training in Norwich and London. including first class institutions such as
- The Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore
- The Royal London Hospital
- Great Ormond Street Hospital
His training included all aspects of orthopaedic and trauma surgery.
Fellowships in Foot and Ankle Surgery were spent with Mr Lloyd Williams at University College London Hospital and Prof Hans Trnka in Vienna.
In 2004 Mr Weitzel was appointed as Consultant Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon at Queen Mary’s Hospital in Sidcup, in the Southeast of London. In 2009 the site was merged with two other local hospitals to the larger South London Healthcare Trust. Further regional healthcare reconfigurations in 2013 moved his NHS base to Princess Royal University Hospitals in Bromley and the newly established Orpington Elective Orthopaedic Centre (Kings College Hospital Sites).
At the beginning of 2015 Mr Weitzel moved his NHS practice to independent sector hospitals in order to provide a better service to NHS patients and protect his practice from disruptions caused by repeated regional service re-organisation.
Mr Weitzel has developed a special interest in Foot and Ankle Surgery. He provides a comprehensive service including all aspects of Foot and Ankle Surgery including modern arthroscopic and minimally invasive techniques.
With a number of Marathons, Long Course and Olympic Distance Triathlons under his belt Mr Weitzel has an insight into the requirement of keen sportsmen/women and can advise accordingly.
Mr Stefan Weitzel’s Professional Qualifications
- State exam University of Freiburg, Germany 1991
- MD Doctoral Thesis, University of Freiburg Hospital, Germany 1992
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons FRCS (Eng) London 1997
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in Trauma & Orthopaedics, Cardiff 2003
- GMC Specialist Register for Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgery since 2004
Mr Stefan Weitzel’s Clinical interests
- Foot & Ankle surgery
- Hip & knee replacement & knee arthroscopy
- Trauma Surgery
- Sports Injuries
- Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy (ESWT)
Mr Stefan Weitzel’s Specialist Interests
- Complex hallux & forefoot surgery
- Anterior & posterior ankle arthroscopy
- Ankle replacement & arthroscopic fusion
- Complex hind- and midfoot surgery including tendon transfer, osteotomy & fusion
- Minimally invasive surgery (MIS)
Mr Stefan Weitzel’s Memberships